Crizbav fortress – overview
Lookout point close to the fortress
Inside the main tower at Crizbav Fortress
Crizbav fortress – overview
Lookout point close to the fortress
Inside the main tower at Crizbav Fortress
Liteni fortress was first mentioned in the year 1324 under the name of “Castrum Leta”.
The fortress was badly damaged on 12 February 1562 during a siege when the black powder storage exploded. Around 1569 the owners decided to rebuild and settle it.
The fortress was abandoned at the start of XVIII century.
First mentioned at around 1347, this fortress was built by the villagers from Saschiz for shelter and food storage.
The fortress sits at around 681m altitude on a 5000 sq meters hill.
Cetatea Saschiz – Main entrance
The fortress has the shape of an uneven rectangle, of 90m max lenght and 52m max width.
Colt Fortress – XIV century, first mentioned around 1359.
Supposedly it inspired Jules Verne to write “The Carpathian Castle”, a novel published in 1892.
Inside the donjon (castle keep).
Colt monastery, at the base of the fortress’s hill, close to Suseni village.